Bridges Social Development is committed to spending your donation on effectively meeting the identified needs, as indicated by the invitation from the community and our experience in defining the priorities.
- Defining the Priorities – Bridges Social Development encourages participatory and transparent processes to enable local communities and their key stakeholders to identify and prioritize the needs of local families, women and youth. Bridges Social Development’s experts facilitate these discussions with professionalism and integrity to determine how and if we can best support.
- Responding to the Needs – Once local needs are defined, Bridges Social Development’s volunteer teams design and deliver education and training to local people who are positioned to address the identified priorities. We will make a recommendation or connect to an alternative program or resource if we are unable to meet the identified needs, therefore ensuring that money is spent doing what we do best, and that community needs are met in an effective and efficient way.
- Building Bridges – Bridges Social Development helps connect community members to one another by inviting local mentors and facilitators to be part of the capacity building process. We also see a need for, and opportunity to communicate community priorities to others, and do so by sharing individual and community stories authentically and respectfully.
- Great People Working in the Community – It’s important to have the right people doing this work as so much of it is relationship-based, and must be connected to the broader community of services and resources. Bridges Social Development has an integrated HR strategy that includes highly capable and committed volunteers, which keeps our staff costs low. We also work in the community for the community, thereby operating with lower administration costs as we don’t have office rental or other high overheads costs. We can trace every dollar. We don’t fund buildings and infrastructure; we fund the building of human capacity.
- Open Source – Equally of value to us as our financial transparency is being open and transparent in our approach, our programming and our best practices. What’s important is that good work is happening in communities around the world, and not that we are doing all of it ourselves. As such, we operate with an open source mandate that encourages the use of our web-platform for the exchange of ideas, resources, and tools. Bridges Social Development’s website houses, and makes freely available: information about the organization and its work; frequently-updated resources and news of relevance; and training materials developed by the organization’s expert training teams. Users are encouraged to advise of their experiences with the materials and recommend changes.